Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Running Break?

Once again I have encountered a hurdle in my running.  A couple of weeks ago I went to the Chiropractor because I was having some neck pain that wouldn't stop.  The Chiropractor started her assessment and immediately told me my left hip was higher than my right and that I had a severe curve in my spine.  She took some x-rays and told me I had scoliosis.  The next day she went over the x-rays and we saw 3 curves in my spine.  I told her how I am a runner and I am training for a half marathon and she advised me to stop running for good.  She said that it wasn't bad for the curves in my spine but that it was rubbing an exposed disk in my back raw.  She says that if I continue running, as I get older I am going to have a lot of pain.  I was shocked and I still feel like I am trying to process this new information.  Since I have started running over a year ago, I seem to keep hitting hurdles.  It seems as if I am not meant to run.  But I am not giving up that easily.  I have halted my half marathon training and have been doing slow and easy runs.  I have set up an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to get a second opinion.  If he advises me to stop running, I may accept defeat.  But I will not go down without a fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment